A hard and tight day was the one that was lived this Saturday in the Giro d’Italia 2022. The eighth day, which featured an urban circuit in Napoli, The winner was the Belgian Thomas de Gendt, who over the last few meters prevailed over his contenders and took the honors.
The Lotto Soudal cyclist, from the first kilometers left the peloton to command a break that initially had around 21 runners, among which the presence of Van der Poel stood out, a runner who was one of the firm candidates to win. However, as the meters passed, the day’s actions tightened, leaving only four cyclists, including De Gendt, as favorites to reach the finish line.
Finally, the Belgian from the Lotto ended up imposing himself with a strong step over the last meters that his rivals could not withstand and rising to the finish line.
Regarding the participation of Colombians in this event, the highlight of the day was Harold Tejada, who led the race for several sections.
As for Santiago Buitrago, Diego Camargo, Iván Ramiro Sosa, they did not suffer major mishaps on this day and focus on what will be the high mountain on Sunday, which will have the great attraction of the Blockhaus.
There will be a total of 191 kilometers between the towns of Isernia and Blockhaus, the fearsome climb in which the Colombian is expected to Iván Ramiro Sosa exploded and managed to hit the table. It should be noted that the Movistar Team cyclist is in 24th place overall, just over three minutes behind the current leader.
This was the classification of stage 8
- Thomas DE GENDT – LOTTO SOUDAL – 03:32:53
- Davide GABBURO – BARDIANI CSF FAIZANE ‘- mt
- Jorge ARCAS – MOVISTAR TEAM – mt
- Damage VANHOUCKE – LOTTO SOUDAL – +4 seconds
- Biniam GIRMAY – INTERMARCHÉ – WANTY – GOBERT MATERIALS – +15 seconds
- Mauro SCHMID – ALPHA VINYL QUICK-STEP TEAM – +15 seconds
- Mathieu VAN DER POEL – ALPECIN-FENIX – +15 seconds
- Wouter POELS – BAHRAIN VICTORIOUS – +33 seconds
- Guillaume MARTIN – COFIDIS – + 33 seconds
- Fabio Felline – 2:56 seconds
General classification after stage 8
- Juan Pedro LOPEZ PEREZ – TREK – SEGAFREDO- 32:15:31
- Lennard KÄMNA – BORA – HANSGROHE – +00: 38
- Rein TARARAMÄE – INTERMARCHÉ – WANTY – GOBERT MATERIALS – +00:58
- Guillaume MARTIN – COFIDIS – +01:06
- Simon Philip YATES – TEAM BIKEEXCHANGE – JAYCO – +01:42
- Mauri VANSEVENANT – FAST STEP ALPHA VINYL TEAM – +01:47
- Wilco KELDERMAN – BORA – HANSGROHE – +01:55
- Joao Pedro GONÇALVES ALMEIDA – UAE TEAM EMIRATES – +01:58
- Pello BILBAO LOPEZ DE ARMENTIA – BAHRAIN VICTORIOUS – +02:00
- Richie PORTE – INEOS GRANADIERS – +02:04
16. Santiago BUITRAGO SANCHEZ – BAHRAIN VICTORIOUS – +02:18
24. Ivan Ramiro SOSA CUERVO – MOVISTAR TEAM – +03:05